Thursday 30 January 2014

READING: The Fifth Beatle - The Brian Epstein Story

Epstein

Brian Epstein - often known as the man, the force behind The Beatles, yet a man that rarely receives the recognition he deserves. Walking into the Cavern in 1961, Epstein at the age of 27 took to becoming their manager - one who went on to get the band signed and reach national and international success.

The Fifth Beatle - a graphic novel by Vivek J. Tiwary features the untold biography of Epstein - somewhat of a loner, overcome with ambition yet a man, gay in a Britain that made it a criminal offence, battling with a drug problem and who died painfully young at 32. But it's rare that what many consider being the man, the power and even as McCartney put it "If anyone was the fifth Beatle, it was Brian" to be worthy of sharing his story.

Epstein

Beginning in a dark, rainy Liverpool a young man stands dressed as a sailor smokes and leans back against a dark damp wall, only to punch the suited figure, what we learn to be a young Epstein who works for his father's record store company. A twist of fate lands him in the Cavern watching what will become the Beatles performing he takes it upon himself to make them successful, and here the tale behinds. We see the success of the Beatles against the increasing loneliness of the main protagonist yet I feel his true character never really comes through, it's hinted at sure, but his relationships, friendships with The Beatles themselves are barely mentioned.  The bright, vivid, hippie tones of the Beatle inspired illustrations give away to the dark, harsh drawings around Epstein. The illustrations themselves are wonderful - capturing the style and feel of the era, holding and portraying the emotions and situations.

Epstein

There is some artistic license with this work, especially with the introduction of the pretty faced Moxie - Epstein's PR. Key dates are notated in the corners to pages, but without any knowledge of The Beatles history and with little explanation they are just dates to anyone else. Nevertheless, The Fifth Beatle is worthy of reading - either for your love of a graphic novel, interest in The Beatles or for finding out just a little more about Brian Epstein.

Either way it's continued my interest in graphic novels as something that can be read and enjoyed - if you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them!

What have you been reading lately?

8 comments:

  1. I think the idea of a biography graphic novel is great! You should try Maus by Art Spiegelman.
    Andreea | http://catsfika.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - Maus is actually on my to-read list!

      Delete
  2. What a cool surprise, I didn't expect this to be a graphic novel! I've never really been a Beatles fan (I know probably the only person who's not!!) but this looks like a fun read.

    Sorcha x Bright Field Notes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was somewhat raised on The Beatles so it's somewhat second nature for me to have an interest in the Beatles but I know from experience you're not the only one that isn't a big Beatles fan. It'd certainly be a good read whether your a Beatles fan, or a fan of the 1960's, of biographies or learning about how it was like being a gay man in the UK during that era.

      Delete
  3. I love the Beatles but didn't know about this book. I'm hoping I still have some gift vouchers lurking in my bag to go and buy it soon. I've never read a graphic novel so this could be the start of something interesting!

    ox Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually another Beatles based graphic novel out at the moment titled Baby's In Black by Arne Bellstorf - I haven't read it yet but it's been getting good reviews.

      Delete
  4. This sounds pretty interesting, I have never really read graphic novels. At the moment I have just finished reading the Hobbit and am starting on the Fellowship of the Ring. I have had the books on my shelf for some time and just never made the time to read them. But this year I'm making the effort. It's a resolution so it must be official ;)

    ~ K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been reading them since being with Joe - he's a big comic book reader so I guess it's was only time that took me to reading some myself. Although admittedly my first were comic book based (Cpt. America), I'd love to read more but they tend to be more expensive sadly then your normal paperback book.

      Delete